I'm cold, I'm miserable, and I want something to cheer me up.
I wander into the kitchen, and I get a pack of mixed seafood from the freezer, some kimchi from the fridge, a lime, some chives, a chilli, and a packet of udon.
I combine the lot with some vegetable broth and, in minutes, a magical broth is formed.
Suddenly it doesn't seem so bad that the sun won't come out to play.
Seafood and Kimchi NoodlesServes 2
- 500ml vegetable stock (I like Marigold bouillon)
- 400g fresh udon noodles (~ 2 packets)
- 300g mixed seafood (frozen or fresh, cooked or raw - you can just use prawns if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp good fish sauce (Three Crabs or Hung Thanh Phu Quoc)
- 4 tbsp kimchi, chopped (easy recipe here or buy ready-made)
- Handful of chives, chopped
- One lime, halved
- 1 red finger chilli, chopped (optional)
Turn the heat down to medium and allow to simmer briskly for 2 minutes if using frozen seafood and 1 minute if using fresh (add a minute to each time if the seafood is raw).
Add the fish sauce and half the kimchi to the saucepan and stir gently.
Divide everything from the saucepan into two bowls and top with the rest of the kimchi and chives (and chopped chilli if you like).
Squeeze half a lime over each bowl of noodles and serve immediately.
My book NOODLE! (100 Great Recipes) is out now, though you can win a signed copy on my Facebook page right now.
|Dive in and warm up|